Okay, where to start...on April 1st, Norah and her friend Jackson had a combined birthday party at Chuck E. Cheese. The theme was CARS (like the movie) obviously, because both kids LOVE the movie and can quote at least 20 lines from the movie on demand! Their birthdays are just over a week apart, so this year they went BIG and turned 3 in style! Her are the two cute kiddos celebrating their birthdays, Jackson (April 1st) and Norah (April 9th).

Norah and 2nd cousin, Drake cruisin' in the "Chuck E." car.
Smile big Norah! Mom obviously did!
All the kids at the shin-dig.
So here's the story about the cake. Derek had made a pretty awesome cake (an American bulldog face) for another little boy's birthday a couple months ago. When we realized he had this hidden talent he began to brainstorm ideas for Norah's birthday cake. If you know my husband, he's very interested in doing random, unthinkable, why-would-you-do-that sort of things and then finding ways to improve. EXHIBIT A: "The King car cake!"
Once Norah decided she wanted a CARS party (and the King car for her cake) Derek started concocting in his brain how to execute this challenge. He went with a fondant icing (that he made from scratch) and found a homemade cake recipe on the internet "that would be more dense and easier to manipulate while building the structure." (Yes, those were his words) I'm a little concerned with this new found talent. Where will it end, when will the madness stop? How did I all of the sudden end up with a baking husband that makes random character cakes? Oddly enough, I am not surprised. I have come to expect these types of things to come out of Derek, so until the next interesting journey... I hope you enjoy "the King car cake!!!"
Norah was way more excited about this cake in person than this picture illustrates!
Wow, I mean... WOW!
The party was really fun and the kids seemed to have a great time. It was even better not to have to clean anything up! By the end of the night though, I was exhausted. So after this picture was taken we went home and off to bed.

Norah with her Lighting McQueen balloon. That thing was seriously huge! It's still inflated in my garage 11 days later. Crazy!
Thanks for sharing your party Jackson. Norah had a lot of fun with you!
Norah and 2nd cousin, Drake cruisin' in the "Chuck E." car.
Once Norah decided she wanted a CARS party (and the King car for her cake) Derek started concocting in his brain how to execute this challenge. He went with a fondant icing (that he made from scratch) and found a homemade cake recipe on the internet "that would be more dense and easier to manipulate while building the structure." (Yes, those were his words) I'm a little concerned with this new found talent. Where will it end, when will the madness stop? How did I all of the sudden end up with a baking husband that makes random character cakes? Oddly enough, I am not surprised. I have come to expect these types of things to come out of Derek, so until the next interesting journey... I hope you enjoy "the King car cake!!!"
Norah was way more excited about this cake in person than this picture illustrates!
Norah with her Lighting McQueen balloon. That thing was seriously huge! It's still inflated in my garage 11 days later. Crazy!
3 comments:
Wow I'm impressed with Derek's cake making skills. I have to read this post to Ben when he gets done putting Hallie to sleep. I'm sure he will get a good laugh out of it. Secretly I'm hoping that Derek will inspire him to want to do Hallie's birthday cake. :)
So when do ya'll leave to come our way? What kind of food do you like/dislike? I was planning on stocking up the house this weekend and could use some suggestions. I know I hate going somewhere with out "my kind" of food. :)
Ok seriously on the cake... Derek you're hired! Can you come to Dallas!? I always knew you had a little "martha" in you! :) I am quite impressed! The day Bill makes a birthday cake will be the day I fall over dead! NEVER!!! Go Derek!
So I obviously haven't checked blogs in a really long time. It was so fun to get caught up on yours! Norah looks so grown up in the pictures at her birthday party and you look hot! Derek's cake is amazing. I had no idea he had that hidden talent. Very impressive. I love Ben's room- great job with everything! It's so exciting that you joined the minivan club! Welcome!!!
Glad that things are going well!
Post a Comment